Summer Days Revamped

Friday, June 5, 2015

This summer we've decided to do things differently.  Well... I've decided since I'm the one who stays home with the kids all day.  The first two weeks of summer wasn't off to a great start.  Lots of bickering, "I'm bored" comments, and high expectations of activities that I was to provide.

Then it all changed.... Jim and I went to serve with our church youth group dressing up like pioneers for 3 days and "trekking" 18 miles.  I came away from the experience with a renewed sense of purpose as a mother.... to teach my children the value of work, or at least attempt too.

So the new Summer began....

The morning starts at 6 am for me for personal study time until 7
Breakfast from 7 to 7:30 where the kids make their own breakfast and I help facilitate but ultimately have them do as much as possible.
7:30 Family scripture study and prayers and Cleanup rooms
8:00 One hour of family chores (Jim leaves after scriptures)
9:00 Free time until lunch (personal time for me like yoga, and get ready time)
10:00 Snack Time
11:30 Lunch which I make the same for all of them and then the kitchen closes for 2 hours.
12:00  Another small family room and kitchen pick up and more free time to spend together
2-3 Snack time
4:30 Reading for a half hour
5:00  Help with dinner prep
5:30-7:00  Dinner and Clean up (this varies due to Jim's schedule)
7:00 Get ready for bed, read stories, hugs, kisses, prayers
7:30 Bedtime  ( My kids are funny and notice how they go to sleep when the sun is still out and it's out when they wake up ;) )

Chores range from washing walls, windows, toilets, showers, tubs, to cleaning out under beds, tops of cluttered dressers, folding laundry, and vacuuming.  Lots of vacuuming!  We've done this schedule for one week.  I do not bribe my children with toys or money, I just say it's what we do every day before we play.  If a child is being difficult... ahem, like today... I simply said, "It's your choice, if you don't work, you won't play at all today."  She wisely worked and had extra chores for her disagreeable attitude (code for tantrum).

Can I say what a difference it has made in our home??? Holy Smokes! I had no idea, being so structured would bring peace to our home.  I was VERY structured when the twins and Taytay were babies... I had no choice.  But somehow I let that go.

Thanks to the people from 1856 who knew what hard work really was, I felt a bit inspired to bring that back into my life.  Only a much smaller scale since our lives are so cushioned.  But I'm still grateful for the change in our home and the overall feeling of more happiness and peace.

 I'm well aware this isn't for most people and their households, but for us, it works.  It's who I am and it's good for any birth mother to know how we run as a family. Well... this week anyway... LOL!

Cheers to Summer Days <3
The twins with our beloved neighbors Eva and Russell 

Much love,

Lindsay


No comments:

Post a Comment